Thursday 10 April 2014

Tales from Topographic Bowling Greens

The first song on "Tales of Topographic Oceans" by Yes is called "The Revealing Science of God". Walking round the corner of the Church Hall in Marston Green the revealing cruelty of god seems more appropriate. I can appreciate the difficulties that small teams have in maintaining greens but when the green seems no different than the grass that adorns the church hall's surrounds, then you know you are in for a treat.

The length of the grass suggested that it had been cut with a Flymo - and Lo and Behold it had. In retrospect, the groundsman probably regrets sending the mower for its pre-season maintenance on the 3rd of April.

Regardless, the green is in a nice setting and the team at Marston Green are a nice group, deserving of support rather than the cruel words of a bitter old maid like me.



The game itself plodded along in virtual silence, as a game on Church grounds undoubtedly should - no vulgar shouting here, but at 12 -5 down my muttering was disturbing the bloke playing the organ. The only real incident of note came when Cat Crane, deciding that at 19-10 up she wasn't getting enough attention, started rolling around on the green complaining that she had been shot by a sniper in a nearby house.

As can be seen from the board, however, Olton Tavern A triumphed!! Two out of Two - unheralded success!



As my lift on the way had done a runner to play darts, or deliver some chocolates we can't tell, I was left with the stark prospect of a moonlit walk through Marston Green and Tile Cross to the safe haven of Sheldon. Out of the blue, an angelic voice whispered softly to me "Eh, Eh calm down, i'll giya a lift wack" and I was ushered to a waiting Mazeratti.


As I opened the door, however, two homeless people leapt out of the car screaming "No more Gerry and the Pacemakers, please!" and ran off into the distance! I wouldn't say that car was dirty, but the Fleas didn't bite me, they roughed me up and took my lunch money!!


Anyway, whilst all this was going on the B team also won again - 4 out of 4 combined :-)

1 comment:

  1. Is that lord lucan and shergar hidding behind the clutter in the car? I didnt know mr treebus drove!

    ReplyDelete