Sunday 12 October 2014

Egypt here we come!

The Olton took a trip to Giza for the Sphinx open doubles and a look around the statue. I guess my suspicions should have been aroused when the satnav told me it would take 30 mins and I had to drive past my office to get there, but I was still hopeful if astounded something so famous and hot looking was so local.

Arriving At the venue I realised I was still in Coventry and despite the sun shining and the warm welcome everything still had the strange grey tint that hangs around the city.


With the realisation it wasn’t in the sub Sahara, we headed to the bar for some very reasonably priced beverages , and settled down to watch the games and try and pick up some ideas of how the green plays. At 14-4 against and Scotty keeping the score down it appeared I hadn’t learnt much , but a decent spell on top of the crown brought us back into the game and sitting 3 to draw level momentum seemed to be with us. Doubles is a fickle mistress though and a wick of an errant bowl dashed our hopes and sent us back to the bar.

Off the green The Sphinx and Carol did such a good and friendly Job we ended up going Back on Thursday to watch Stroker and Stroker play. There still wasn’t an actual sphinx but the welcome was just as warm and we had an unparalled win ratio on the tombola. Savo winning two prizes and Scotty won a third and boy these were not your average run of the mill kind of prizes either. Jack, who was sporting a knocked off ladies handbag and new bouffant further showed the generation or species gap at the Olton by wondering round muttering worldy a lot and wearing Savs first prize neckless.


I have no clue what the boy is on about half the time and looking around the university where I work I realise they are all the bloody same. Meanwhile Savo continues his metamorphosis into Bob Horn by bemoaning that everything in the world is rubbish - he probably would have said the great Sphinx of Giza was rubbish had it sprouted from beneath the disused green singing the bangles hit that wasn’t about Mondays.


Jack and Wiggly drew the Baldwin pair of Spindle and Jim Kernick, with neither team having an advantage on green knowledge the game settled into a pattern of straight marks early on with Spin and Jim taking the lead before a spirited fight back From the Olton boys plucky and lucky. Two Bad ends or some misfortune swung the game in the favour of the Baldwin team whose supporters would have looked much more at home than me carrying Jacks bag around.

The bowls wasn’t a huge success but it was good experience and nice to get out and about catch up with the bowls gossip and try in vain to understand the sexually confused left handed youngsters of today.



I scored more than you

Yes it's true, its Damn true check out the WWCBA and you will find that yours truly, your beloved leader, star player, benevolent captain and Olton pin up boy scored more shots for his team than any player, not just in the divison but the whole of the Warwick and Worcester. I left closest challenger Ant Bracken eating my dust a massive whole shot back on 447.

448 that is a big number I know and its hard for you pencil neck geeks to visualise the size of my achievement so let me help you. It is the amount of beans in 6 cans, its the amount of wine gums in a large tin and the amount of grains of sand in a very small egg timer. The number 448 is also significant in history and popular culture.

Year 448 (CDXLIII) was a leap year that started on a Thursday of Julians Calender. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Praetextatus and Zeno. Just think about that for a moment, the year of Praetextus and Zeno - that is heavy stuff that even Scott may not know about (Yes, Yes I did - Ed).

448 Was also a classic episode of the Bill. It was episode 71 that was shown during its 22nd season. DC Perkins is asked to supervise an ex-con, and PC Hemmingway deals with a boy bullying a homeless man. Meanwhile, PCs Noble and Hollis are called to deal with a drunk man at hospital, only to realize that it's troubled PC Valentine. I remember vividly the look on Reg's Face when he discovered it was Valentine that had just hurled in his helmet. Great stuff.

It is also the most fiendish of candy crush levels that I am sure none of you have managed to reach. It's okay though only the best can be 448.

As you can see from the photo, I have been awarded many awards from numerous bodies that award awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment