Friday 2 May 2014

Midweek Round Up

Hello Fans, a slightly delayed post this week but forgive me - I'm not as young as I used to be and the old fingers are creaking.

A brief mention of the East Birmingham game on Tuesday night. Whilst Bayern Munich were tika taking themselves to oblivion at the Allianz Arena, Ward End Social were being expertly dissected by the superior skills of the OTBC at Solihull's premier bowling venue. A large home win for the team means two out of two in the league.

Oh, and this is how you mark a card........



On to Thursday night where The A team entertained a decent Moseley Team and the B team were at Woodbourne. As i'd never played at Woodbourne I wangled a place in the B team so that I could see what I'd been missing the last 25 years. As an aside, that's only 4 (or maybe 5) greens that are currently competing in the Warwick and Worcester that I haven't played on.

The A team game was difficult by all accounts, with two bad cards and the Club Captain losing his first game of the season after losing his woods. The fact that they were lost in the boot of his car - in the car park - of the pub - by the bowling green - by which he was standing and moaning - probably says more about him than I can adequately elucidate here!!


















Anyway, I was at Woodbourne with the B team and after a five minute roll up you can tell what a great green it is. As it is technically hollow in a trough along its width, I suppose it is a two crown green, but when one takes up 50% of the green and the other about 45% I can see why it is famed for being such a tricky green when it runs.

The pictures don't do it justice, but here they are anyway.





The final result was a relatively easy win but that isn't the point. Its a great green with a lovely setup and some lovely people but, like most clubs, fielding teams is an ever more difficult job. Several of the team were novices, however, so there is a way forward for clubs that actively try and introduce new blood into the game.

Thanks to the Woodbourne for their hospitality, and I hope its not another 25 years before I get to play there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment